Tabla


Since 1998, Tabla has been serving what its executive chief calls "New Indian." In practice, New Indian uses traditional Indian spices and flavor (cumin, curry, etc.) in western-style dishes. Last night, I started with a crab cake over a spicy avocado sauce and even spicier papadum, then had salmon and risotto (yes, risotto). For dessert, I had chocolate and coconut two ways, which included translucent slivers of coconut, a tiny scoop of ice cream, and a chocolate-covered napoleon.

But the real treat was the choice of beverage. Pomegranate gimlets. Tablatinis, with vodka and pineapple juice. Passionate-fruit cosmopolitans. Kumquat mojitos. Tamarind margaritas. The fact that I was there for work restrained me, but, oh, how I'd love to go back and try them all.

Comments

Popular Posts