Time Out's New York 40


To celebrate Time Out's 40th anniversary, Time Out New York interviewed 40 New Yorkers who've made a "positive impact on the city," including Jay Z, Derek Jeter, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tina Fey, Richard Serra, and the Upright Citizens Brigade. All the mini-interviews are worth reading, since it's always neat to hear about other New Yorkers' favorite New York moments and spots, but we particularly liked these answers:

What is your favorite place or thing in New York?
Danny Meyer: My favorite place is whichever sidewalk is beneath my feet because I am just constantly fascinated by walking, and looking and learning. If I’ve already walked a street five times, then the next five times I walk it looking up, and I learn something about the cornices. And if I’ve walked it five times looking at the cornices, then I look at the doors on the buildings. And if I’ve already done that, then I look at the people. It’s the surprise around every corner that never ceases to fascinate me. Outside of that, my favorite place is my own home.

What’s your favorite place in New York City?
Tim Gunn: I love this entire island. I’m an ardent walker and I’m constantly exploring new places in the city. But if I had to choose a single destination where I’d be held captive for the rest of my time in New York, I’d choose the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Why?
Tim Gunn: It is my greatest source of inspiration. I’m there whenever I have free time, which isn’t frequent. But it’s where I get my booster shot for returning to my core values and massaging my soul. It’s like a safe and inspiring haven.

Photo: thanks

Popular Posts