Peaches at the Union Square Greenmarket


Alice Walker once wrote, "Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it." She'd be over the moon about the peaches at today's greenmarket. Delicious!

Locally grown fruit is often dirty and misshapen, but what it sometimes lacks in looks it more than makes up for in smell and taste. Really, I think one bite of the real thing would be enough to transform the most ardent supporters of chain supermarkets (and their waxy fruit) into locavores, Birkenstocks optional.

Photo copyright: © 2005 Mennonite Central Committee
Frankly, these are probably too perfect to resemble those I saw at the greenmarket today. If I were handier with the cell phone camera, I'd be able to prove it. Alas, you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Comments

Popular Posts