Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant

Veggie combo for two, Abyssinia

After selling injera out of their apartment for eight years, Daniel and Frehiwot Reta have finally opened a restaurant, and it's a doozy. Abyssinia, on 135th Street in Harlem, just might be the best Ethiopian restaurant in New York. While the decor is modest and the menu fairly standard (every Ethiopian joint does sambusas and a veggie combo), the cooking is anything but: these were simply the freshest and most flavorful vegetables we've put between a torn strip of sour, soft injera. Ribbons of heat curl through the piles of ye misir wat, gomen, shiro, fossolia, and tikil gomen, complementing and never overpowering the other spices. Add to that friendly service and how-do-they-make-a-profit prices, and we're very nearly in love.

Vegetable sambusas, Abyssinia
   

Comments

Howard said…
that looks amazing!
donuts4dinner said…
Thanks for this tip! I've actually never had Ethiopian food and have always been interested in it. Mostly because I like to eat with my hands. (Finding out that sushi doesn't necessarily need chopsticks was a revelation.) Gonna put this on my list.
Yep --- finger-licking is most definitely encouraged around these parts.
I've never tried Ethiopian food before and I'm curious how the food taste like. Maybe I will visit the place one day.

Popular Posts